Thursday, November 14, 2013

Libation: Jerry's Donut Martini

Recently, I have to ask a favor from a good friend, Jerry Tin.  Jerry and I were classmates in Xavier School which is located in Greenhills, San Juan, Metro Manila.  But this drink that I concocted in November 9, 2011 (Hey, two years ago!) was born out of the fact that I had some Amaretto in my liquor cabinet supposedly for some party that one of the guests requested yet failed to attend it.  So, with so much of this liquor and not being familiar with its flavor, I decided to make something out of it and the result reminded me of cinnamon-sugar donuts!

The connection with Jerry is that he was (I don't know if he still is) crazy about Dunkin' Donuts.  Despite his love for physical culture - and who wasn't during the teenage years - he managed to succumb to these morsels thus returning back to square one.  I doubt it whether he did achieve his Arnold physique.  But this cocktail reminded me of him.  And, thus, here again, from a previous Facebook post of mine in 2011, I present once more, Jerry's Donut Martini.

"My good classmate Jerry Tin used to (or does he still?) actively do bodybuilding exercised when we were in high school. The problem was, he was addicted to Dunkin' Donuts. So, despite the exercises, he would indulge in these munchkins and... thus defeat the whole purpose of the exercise. Anyway, I promised him that I would make this drink in honor of him and his bodybuilding endeavors and make sure that it would closely resemble the flavor of a donut.
 
Though this is a less guilty version of the donut pleasure, please remember that alcohol is a NO-NO if you are really that into physical culture. But then, do we deserve a bit of epicurean delight?
 
So, mix in a shaker with ice cubes:
  • 2 jiggers vodka,
  • 2 jiggers amaretto,
  • 2 jiggers non-fat or soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon of coffee granules. 
 
Shake - and serve in a well chilled martini glass. Remember to add a dash of cinnamon on the foam. You may choose to rim the glass with a mixture of Splenda/NeutraSweet with cinnamon.
 
A good garnish with a bit of contrast is a maraschino cherry.
 
Now - go and serve this delightful concoction to your wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, your number twos, threes, fours or just about anyone. It guarantees a good time..."
 
Tips:
  • Chill everything! Your liquors, vodka (in freezer if possible) and ice.  The colder the better.  Once you shake the drink in ice, the cocktail has a tendency to dilute in water and certainly you do not want a bland concoction.
  • I suggest ice should be fresh - from the freezer and not bathed in water to remove from the tray.  Again this is for the same reason above.
  • Sugar for the rim is, of course, the best...but extra calories?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment